Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy Latin American Independence Month!

In celebration of Latin American Independence, I told my students that they could bring in food for extra credit. In the classes that remembered to bring food, we also danced. What's a celebration without dancing????!!!!! Well, in one of my more challenging classes we only got through half of La Raspa!-with a vow never to try to dance with this class again. Yes, that's how challenging they are! But, what do you know, they came into class telling me how they had been "practicing" the dance during volley ball practice and singing the Spanish song that they have been learning!!!!! You just have to love them! Once I've recovered, maybe around Christmas we'll try another dance!????????????

At our regular meeting this week there was a lot of review of previous dances taught. The only Ouvre Moi that I could find was a modern version that didn't sound anything like the music to which we dance.
Susan O. taught Stranzanski Burenek from Bulgaria but I couldn't find any on the internet. Dick Oates has a dance description of Strandzansko Horo.
http://www.phantomranch.net/folkdanc/dances/strandza.htm

Have a great week dancing!
Another Day, Another Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment